Oxford United vs Plymouth Argyle

7th vs 17th. 

In this game United were forced to make a change to there starting 11 as Danny Hylton was starting a 2 match ban for collecting 10 yellow cards which had come in the previous game away at Bury. 

The 1st half was quite open as both sides were struggling on a bog of a pitch. Whenever the ball went out for a throw in ex United loanee Tareiq Holmes Dennis took it. As the first half was coming to a close Reuben Reid had the best opportunity to break the deadlock as his shot cannoned off the underside of the crossbar, how it wasn’t a goal to the Pilgrims I will never know. Alex MacDonald and Reuben Reid had a tasty battle when in my opinion got the ball. 

The referee wasn’t about to brandish a card but warned MacDonald to calm down.

Patrick Hoban had an unlucky game in front of goal as he squandered two gilt edge chances to give United 3 valuable points but as time ran out United’s defence held firm. It finished 0 – 0. 

Clarke 7 – Only had one routine save to make. Took crosses well throughout.

George Baldock 7 – kept Tareiq Holmes Dennis quiet.

Johnny Mullins 8 – a commanding performance from the man of the match.

Jake Wright 8 – kept the defence tight.

Joe Skarz, Alex MacDonald, Michael Collins, Josh Ruffels 7 – had some good touches and broke up play in the midfield areas.

Callum O Dowda 6 – looked lively on the ball.

Kemar Roofe 7 – a decent display on his home debut. Got booked.

Patrick Hoban 6 – had 2 gilt edge chances to break his goal scoring duck.

Will it be 2 points dropped come the end of the season?

Oxford United vs Hartlepool United.

On Tuesday Night United welcomed a buoyed Pools side who lie just 4 points from keeping football league status as on Saturday they beat Morecambe 1 nil.  From the 1st whistle the supporters could see that the Pools were bang up for this game as they showed some good touches. They were kicking the ball long in hope of the front two could make things happen. In the 18th minute Pools had a freekick just outside the box which the yellows kept out but the deadlock was to be broken on the 25th minute as Ryan Bird reacted quickest to Ryan Clarke’s parry. 

1 nil to the Pools. Was there any chance of a mini Oxford revival as they lucky to avoid being 2 nil down as there were shouts of a penalty that the referee waved away. Half time.

In the 52 minute Pools extended there lead as Clarke could only parry the penalty kick to Neil Ashton who reacted quickest. 2 nil to the basement boys who showed passion, grit and determination that Oxford United failed to show. Was it complacency? In football you have to battle for every ball, for every cross and sadly United didn’t turn up. 

Patrick Hoban still needs to find a formula for scoring his first goal as the season gets to the business end. On a side note I hope that the referee isn’t badly injured as that was the highlight of a dire performance. 

Games are coming thick and first now and on Saturday Oxford travel to 2nd placed Shrewsbury. Our destiny is still in our hands but WE have to show grit, passion, belief and determination if we are to avoid relegation to the Vanarama Conference. 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s